Sunday, September 2, 2007

a South African birthday

James 1:27- Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.




To be here in Africa is a dream come true. I have come so far. and that has so many meanings.

How exactly do I put into words how I feel with everything I have experienced thus far? It's nearly impossible. God is so good.

Brooke and I got into Port Elizabeth 5 days ago, and since then have been going non stop doing various things. It's awesome. Dan and Kristi have been nothing short of amazing while we have been here, and I'm so thankful for their hospitality. We have been so busy on this trip, but it has been something that has already within, 5 days changed my life. I love saying that.

On the first day here (Thursday) we toured around Port Elizabeth just learning where important places are, and it was most definitely cool just to have a cool down day and see what is around. In the evening we hung with the orphans, and it was amazing to see all the beautiful new babies at Oceans. They steal your heart, all of them... new and old.



****

On Friday we spent the day in Motherwell working with the Child Sponsorship Program. It was amazing to see all the children lined up waiting for their picture to be taken, and a sweetie (candy). What a day. I made several friends, that wished I would visit them more often. Left me speechless. People in Motherwell are awesome. I can't explain how that day made me feel.


****

Saturday was my birthday, yay!! It was the best birthday I have ever had, being in South Africa. It was definitely a low key birthday, but it was just amazing. I drove!! It was insane, but turned out to be much easier than I expected. Saturday night we went to the beach! Dan and Kristi made dinner, and I got a birthday picnic dinner and cake on the beach! It was cold but beautiful, made my day, and year.

*****

...& that brings me to today. The best and most memorable day by far. We went to the Motherwell cemetery, and I can't even begin to put into words how that experience made me feel. Being here in March, and hearing about the number of deaths per week here is brain rattling. There are so many questions that arise when you see what I saw. I was heartbroken. It's definitely something that I will never forget.

****


That brings my post to a close. I hope everyone is doing great back home. I miss you all, but I want you all to know how amazing this place is to me. I have been doing some amazing things, and will continue to do so for several more days, and I'm so ready. I am not sure what the days ahead will bring, but I am so ready for what God will do in the upcoming days. He has been so good to me. I am so blessed.

***

I would love your continuing prayer in support while I am here. It means a ton, and I want you to know you are making a difference in my life. Thank you.


my buddy so far on this trip, Lisakanya.

Siphokaze, Kristi, and the awesome yellow car!

Philisande, wearing my sunglasses.

****

I love everyone!!
COMMENT ME!!!

8 comments:

Gabby said...

Destiny! I am so glad that you and Brooke are having a great time. I can't wait to go back again in March. Give the kids a hug for me!

Crystal Renaud said...

for i know the plans i have for you, declares the Lord. plans to prosper you and not to harm you. plans to give you a future and a hope. jeremiah 29:11

i love you destiny.

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome - I'm really glad you get to be there and bless them. I hope it keeps going well. I'll be praying.

Mom and Dad said...

Hi Honey, I loved reading your posting. We miss you but know you are right where God wants you right now. Sasha says "Hi".
Give the orphans and Mama a hug for me. Love,Mom

Mom and Dad said...

I like your blog site a lot. This is when technological developments are especially meaningful. I was blessed in reading your blog. There is no better way to live than knowing you are in the center of God's will. It makes my heart glad to know you are experiencing that kind of fulfillment. I am prayuing that you will get crystal clear direction for the next step. It is so fun when you do, and I think that is how God ususally wants his will to be, crystal clear and fulfilling to follow.

Mom and Dad said...

Last comment under Margie was Dad's.

ltlbtty said...

Destiny,
It sounds like alot of fun there in Africa. I am glad that you are enjoying it and it looks like you will make it a regular trip to go there and visit. Glad to see that you are using your time wisely until you figure out what God has in store for you, now that your done w/ high school! Can't wait to see more pics from Africa. The beach looks awesome! Even though that you sd it was pretty cool there.
We will be praying for your safe return home.
Love ya,
your cousin
Deanna

Unknown said...

i demand an update!